In order to be able to log into the started VMs, among other purposes, you need to provide a Secure Shell (SSH) public key. If you are already a frequent user of SSH, and have a private and public key pair, it is perfectly reasonable to provide your public key. It’s public, after all. We do require that a minimum 2048-bit key is used. This is the default on most up-to-date systems but if your key pair is older it might be less. If it is, you will need to generate a new key pair for use with FutureSystems.
To upload the chosen public key:
- Copy the text of your public key into your system clipboard.
- This text starts with something like "ssh-rsa AAAAB3N..."
- Visit the MY ACCOUNT link at the bottom of the portal website.
- Once on your account page, click the Edit tab link.
- Paste the text of your public key into the SSH Public Key field at the bottom of the page.
- To add a new key, use the blank field.
- To replace a key, paste in the text of the new key in its place.
- To delete a key, select the entire text value and delete it.
- Be sure there are no extra line breaks, leading or trailing spaces, blank lines, etc. in the key text.
- Click the Save button at the bottom of the page.
If you are not familiar with SSH keys, see IU's Knowledge Base article "Set up SSH public-key authentication to connect to a remote system."
Changes to keys will take up to 1 hour to propagate through the system services. You are not allowed to use passwordless keys. Your account may be deactivated if you violate this policy.